The automotive industry uses tape for many applications from mounting interior and exterior panels to holding carpeting in place. When designing a tape for your application, we take into the substrates the tape will be applied to, the changing environments the tape will be exposed to, the processes that are used during production, etc. to be sure you have a tape that meets your needs. Some common applications for tape in this industry include:
- Bonding and lamination of materials to instrument panels and armrests
- Bonding decorative trims, heating elements, emblems, gear knob badges, etc.
- Wrapping, closing, and securing airbags
- Elimination of buzzing, squeaking, and rattling (BSR)
- Permanent mounting of door pads, frames, and crash sensors
- Water shield sealing and insulation
- Mounting light components
- Mounting bumper edges
- Protecting wires and fuel hoses from abrasion and heat
- Mounting rubber straps to the gas tank
- Security marking
- Mounting windshields, cables, and water hoses
- Bonding sunroof frames
- Mounting seat heaters, sensors, and air cushion
We have relationships with some of the world’s largest tape manufacturers, meaning we have access to the strongest and/or most permanent tapes in the world. We can source tapes for high or low surface energy surfaces and surfaces with many peaks and valleys. We can source tapes that create a strong bond immediately or tapes that strengthen their bond over time. We can source tapes to disperse heat or simply hold carpets in place. And we have the equipment and skills to specially formulate and design adhesives specifically for your project. We can even create differential tapes with each side of the tape designed for a different substrate to ensure the best bonding for your specific application. No matter the tape, we can convert it to the size and shape you need. Below you’ll find tapes commonly used in this industry.
Polyester backing with an acrylic adhesive. Most commonly used for mounting and bonding in industrial applications.
3M™ Double Coated 93020LE
A kraft paper liner with a high strength acrylic adhesive great for bonding plastics.
A modified acrylic adhesive on a PET carrier. It bonds to most substrates including hard-to-stick-to substrates.
A transfer tape with a modified acrylic adhesive. Highly conformable, has good heat resistance, high tensile strength, and high tear resistance.